It's Thursday night, it's pouring, I've eaten too much wheat (way too much bloating left over party food from the cocktail night) and I've blown my plans for dinner. The Frenchman is out, so it's cooking for one tonight.
I'm feeling impulsive, so I jump on the first thing I see. I've decided to put together whatever's left in the cupboards and freezer for a quick 20 minute wheat free meal for one. I've always believed that it's possible to be inspired by anything.
So this might not be the most glamorous meal, but there are no added fats, it is lower in salt and above all, is wheat and gluten free. Always check your shrimp paste to verify the latter.
What's the buzz? You'll have this meal put together in less than 20 minutes. This will appear ultra-delicious when you are on the hunt for something quick and fuss free. Best of all, it understands your belly, especially after a weekend of cocktails that may have dragged onto a Wednesday night too!
1/2 cup long grain rice
1 garlic clove, chopped
3/4 teaspoon shrimp paste
3 mixed wild mushrooms (dried)
200g cooked prawns
1 teaspoon chives, chopped
1. Thoroughly wash the rice until the water runs clear.
2. Add washed rice into a saucepan, cover in water and bring to boil.
3. Add shrimp paste, followed by the dried wild mushrooms.
4. Throw in the garlic, stir well and turn down the heat to medium.
5. Add the peas and once most of the liquid has been absorbed, throw in the prawns and chives.
6. The meal is ready when all of the liquid has been absorbed.
7. Serve with a generous grinding of freshly cracked black pepper.
Remember, the only person you are trying to impress with this meal is your swollen belly. So don't tell your friends.
What do you eat to calm your belly?