Sunday 17 June 2012

Wholesome Oaty Chocolate & Hazelnut Slice

Pin It Now!



If you read my Food Diary then you know how much I love oats!  I eat it almost daily for breakfast.  It's a fantastic source of fibre and usually keeps me going till about noon.  

This recipe is 'wholesome and fabulous' as my friends called it yesterday afternoon.  It works well with a glass of wine or a hot cup of freshly brewed Ceylon tea.  The agave nectar is purely because I've still got a bottle in the cupboard (read my article The Sickly Truth About Agave Nectar).  My first choice would normally be honey so please don't feel that you need to go out and get some.

For a delicious twist, I've thrown in chocolate with hazelnuts.  It adds a rather scrumptious crunch to your afternoon tea party!  

I couldn't find my square tin so I threw the batter into a round tin yesterday!  We ate it with reduced fat custard.....delicious.

This recipe is gluten, wheat, soy and egg free.  It is however, not milk free.  Please check your chocolate to ensure that this is soy free if you need to avoid this.


Ingredients

100g margarine or butter
200g chocolate with whole hazelnuts
25g agave nectar or honey (optional)
100g reduced fat condensed milk
225g oats
110g gluten free self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
30g pecan nuts or walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
2 medium bananas, mashed


Methods

 1. Melt the margarine with the chocolate and agave nectar (if using) over a low heat in a saucepan.
2. Mix in the condensed milk.  If you do not want to use condensed milk, then use additional honey or golden syrup.
3. In a bowl weigh and mix oats with the self-raising flour and salt.
4. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour and oats.  Combine well.
5. Add nuts, cinnamon and ground mixed spice and mix well.
6. Add the mashed bananas to the final mixture and pour into a square tin.
7. Bake in the oven for 170 degrees celcius for 45 – 50 minutes.  Leave in the oven for a little longer for a lovely golden colour.